Lipoedema, also known as Painful Fat Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs mostly in women. The disease mainly affects the legs, although arms and other parts of the body can be affected.
Symptoms of Lipoedema
- The legs are enlarged bilaterally arms too can be affected
- The waist is small in proportion to thighs, buttocks and legs
- Feet and hands are exempt and a 'bracelet' effect can appear just above the ankles and wrists
- Legs/arms can be extremely painful, even to touch
- Affected limbs bruise easily
- The fat is soft to touch and wobbly, while skin can be cold to touch
- Lipoedema can become worse in hot weather
- Diet and exercise, while important, can have minimal effect
- Increase in Lipoedema is often noticed when significant hormonal changes happen
- Skin can have a cellulite like appearance.
Photo: Judy Hudson Photography
REGISTER FOR OUR 2018 NATIONAL CONFERENCE
The 3rd Lipoedema Australia Conference provides a great opportunity for those affected by lipoedema to come together and share experiences, hear the latest research from experts and presentations from our international keynote speakers. We are pleased to announce an exciting line up of speakers for 2018. Registrations are now open! Find out more....
We proudly announce our GOLD SPONSOR for the 2018 National Conference:
11% OF AUSTRALIAN WOMEN AFFECTED
Did you know that 11% of Australia women are affected by Lipoedema - and most have yet to receive a diagnosis? Get on board and help us raise awareness of Lipoedema. Find out how...
MIRACLE HOSPITAL NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
Dr Tara Karnezis, Head of Lipoedema Research & Dr Ramin Shayan, Reconstructive Plastic Surgeon work closely together at St Vincent's Hospital. Dr Karnezis and Dr Shayan specialise in working with patients suffering from lipoedema, a progressive condition of abnormal fatty distribution. Watch Carla Daly's lipoedema surgery story Season 2, Episode 5.
PURCHASE YOUR ENTERTAINMENT BOOK AND SUPPORT US!
You can now purchase your 2018-19 Entertainment membership with Lipoedema Australia. Not only will you receive 25-50% off and 2-for-1 offers many of the best restaurants, hotels and attractions in your area but you'll be supporting us to raise awareness, support research and advocate for people with Lipoedema. Find out more...
LIPOEDEMA ON GOOGLE NEWS
Check out all the latest articles on Lipoedema on Google News. Read more...